About Me

My photo
I am many years into a "summer project" of yoga that my daughter and I started. Yoga is such a part of my life and my daughter's life that it surprises us both. Yoga for us has evolved as a part of daily living. We might not practice everyday, but we practice what yoga has given us. Now, some about me.I have had the honor of being a part of the medical community for many years. I strongly feel modern medicine and holistic medicine walk hand and hand to treat the whole person. I have found that yoga brings into daily life true balance,breath, and awareness to what is happening at the moment. Yoga is both enhancing and invigorating to the mind and spirit, and gives health and strength to the body. What more could one want? My daughter and I plan to be participating in yoga for many years to come, she even promised she would take me to class in my 80's. I intend to make her keep that promise.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Energy of Thought and Stillness

"Thoughts are energy, and you can make your world or break your world by your thinking"
        Susan Taylor

We take for granted what our mind creates in the form of thoughts to make it through one day, one week, one month, one year.  The National Science Foundation determined that the average individual has 1,000 thoughts per hour. If the individual is writing they have per hour 2,500. The study then goes on to say that a deep thinker has up to 50,000 thoughts in a day. I throw these numbers out to stimulate appreciation of the energy that is produced from our brains and the thoughts we form.


Truly, it is endless energy that can be harnessed to create beauty or destruction. The key lies in the heart and determination of each person to decided the path.   We are our own best friends or our own worst enemies. 

The above leads me into another quote I like concerning stillness.

"Being still has been very liberating. I am better able to unhook, be present, not react, breathe. And maybe tomorrow I'll forget, but maybe I won't. "
   Alyssa S., yoga student 

For me I consider stillness, as a way to recharge my brain. Stillness in my definition, is not meditation. It is just sitting or standing and just listening to the sounds that surround me, observe what is in front of me with blank thought. No music, no iPhone, no book, nothing to the best of my control that would stimulate a reactive thought.  I am so found of my oasis of stillness, that my brain will generate the thought of it is time for some stillness, I am getting overload here, sister!!!!  

Stillness is a tool that I incorporate in my days as many times as I can. Be it at work or at home it is an oasis for myself and my future thoughts. 


Paloma




 

No comments:

Post a Comment